ODESSA NATIONAL MEDICAL UNIVERSITY
Why students from all over the world dream to study at ONMedU?
While a lot of school graduates dream to study in Europe, some of them were lucky to make a great choice – to study at Odessa National Medical University. There are quite a number of reasons why this institution is worth of choice but it is really enough to deliberate several essential facts.
- European quality education
Odessa National Medical University is a major institution in Ukraine with the highest level IV of accreditation assigned by the State authorities. Founded in 1900, Odessa National Medical University takes pride in over 110 years of its history. About 75 000 of doctors were trained here of which over 6000 graduates and 300 doctors with specialization and super specialization represent different countries of Europe and Asia. Odessa National Medical University is a member of European and International Associations of universities as well as International Scientific Committee of UNESCO. ONMedU participates in Thematic Network on MEDINE (Education in Europe) and is recognized by Med Councils of USA, UK, India and other countries. Its curricula adapted to the Bologna system allowing students to study in Europe while staying in Ukraine.
- Best adapted for foreign students
Odessa National Medical University welcomes students from all over the world providing them with education in English and today it offers both UG and PG courses in English medium. Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine awarded Odessa National Medical University the introduction of present-day learning model for English speaking students. All the departments of the Odessa National Medical University have its websites with necessary educational materials published in English. Owing to clear and simple application procedure, standardized admission rules and willingness of the administration to provide the official invitation of foreign students, it becomes really easy to study in Odessa, those applicants who are eligible to the College requirements.
- Up-to-date training process
Odessa National Medical University provides coherent, fundamental special training in several fields of medicine like General Medicine (M.B.B.S), Dentistry/stomatology (B.D.S) and Pharmaceutics (M.PHARMA). Training process includes testing, distance learning, credit-unit system, independent system of knowledge evaluation. If you would study in Europe, you’d have to look good a college with such a powerful academic teaching staff: among more than 800 teachers there are 18 academicians, 105 professors and 407 candidates of med science. On 20 000 m2 of Odessa National Medical University there are three museums, numerous library, publishing and printing complex, latter-day computer center. One more reason to study in Odessa is the ONMEDu clinical site with impressive 9648 patient beds. The clinical site comprises 35 full-rigged hospitals provided with all necessary training conditions.
Don’t hesitate to choose Odessa National Medical University for its high quality teaching and excellent student life facilities!
X-ray room is equipped with modern X-ray equipment, including American-made “General Electric”, which allows examination of all organs and systems in full:
- Thoracic organs (including preventive – fluorography);
- Of the gastrointestinal tract (fluoroscopy of esophagus, stomach, small intestine, irrigoscopy);
- osteoarticular system (including functional studies of the spine, special study of temporal bones);
- URINARY SYSTEM (EXCRETORY UROGRAPHY, METROSALPINGOGRAPHY);
- Mammary gland – mammography;
- Radiography of teeth;
The ultrasound diagnostics cabinet uses apparatus «Picus» and «Technos» with a color monitor and three multi-frequency sensors (L, Keane and Endo), the model of 2004 with a quality certificate.
Possibilities of ultrasound on 3 apparatuses:
- the abdominal cavity,
- retroperitoneal space,
- endocavitary study of pelvic and prostate surface structures:
- of the scrotum;
- l / nodes (peripheral);<libreast;
- Thyroid gland;</libreast;
- Soft tissues;
- Salivary glands.
Ultrasound apparatus Esaote Technos MPX – newest ultrasound multisystem designed modern ultrasound, regardless of region and depth of scanning (in abdominal region, obstetrical and gynecological, urological, cardiac, superficial organs and intracavitary studies.
The sensors are multi-frequency (in all scanning modes), frequency range from 2.0 to 14 MHz.
It has tissue harmonic mode, the program of panoramic and three-dimensional reconstruction of images. The device can carry out research cycle: from the optimal image in its analysis and archiving.
The functional diagnostics cabinet in Odessa has modern equipment to assess the cardiovascular system:
- Study of heart rhythm for 10 minutes with the computer analysis (rytmohramm);
- Daily ECG Holter monitoring (possible analysis of the pacemaker)
- Exercise testing (treadmill test)
- ECG Drug test
- Daily monitoring of blood pressure
- Combined daily monitoring of ECG and blood pressure
Daily ECG Holter monitoring is a modern method of study of the heart, which allows capturing ischemic changes and arrhythmias of the heart in normal levels of physical and psycho-emotional stress accompanying patients in real life. This research method can be useful to identifying life-threatening rhythm disturbances and coronary heart disease.
Daily monitoring of blood pressure (BP) provides a complete picture of the patient’s blood pressure during the day (under normal conditions, without restriction on level of ordinary loads), because the measurements are made every 15-20 minutes during the day and every 30-40 minutes at night. This is a unique opportunity to obtain objective data on such variable factors as blood pressure, which is very important to detect increased pressure and the development of individualized treatment regimens.
Research is conducted on the equipment produced by OLYMPUS (Japan, 2005), giving an increase of 10-15 times.
Pictures can be seen not only to the doctor, who conducted the study, but also are displayed on SONY 20 Inch monitor, allowing early diagnosis of precancerous disease of the bronchi and gastrointestinal tract: mucous membrane of esophagus, stomach, duodenum and colon.
Types of studies in Odessa :
- Endoscopic study of esophageal, stomach, duodenum, bronchus, colon;
- ERCP, papillotomy;
- The taking of cytological and histological material;
- Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) Quick Test;
- Endoscopic removal of polyps in the gastrointestinal tract, bronchial foreign bodies, gastrointestinal tract;
- Endoscopic research in the state of medication sleep;
Hardware – software package ANHIODIN (2009). Designed for Doppler ultrasound of extra-and intracranial blood vessels.
- Diagnosis of stenosis and occlusion of main arteries of the head and neck.
- Diagnosis of lesions of the brain base arteries.
- Diagnosis of vascular spasm and cerebral arteriovenous malformations.
- Comprehensive examination of arteries of the head and neck.
The Laboratory Diagnostics Department carries out all necessary general clinical, hematology and biochemistry tests using modern equipment.
The personnel of the laboratory include laboratory doctors of the highest category, laboratory technicians of first and highest category, who constantly take efforts to increase their qualification.
Hematological and biochemical studies are carried out using automatic analyzers Cobas Micros and Cobas Mira which warrant the highest quality of the tests and allow obtaining quick results.
In 2009 was bought a modern automated analyzer ChemWell, through which the range of the tests has been expanded by the introduction of the researches of hormones and oncomarkers.
In the Laboratory Diagnostics Department in Odessa can be made:
- Studies of genetic polymorphisms — cancer diagnosis and predisposition to cancer, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and others.
- Prenatal and before implantation diagnosis based on comparable genomic hybridization, Microchips
- Imunoblot for antibodies to the sperm, liver cells, brain and others.
- Searching the proteomic tumor markers
In the field of biochemistry tests, our laboratory participates in the international system of quality control Prevical, which includes over 2 thousand laboratories in Ukraine, Russia, and Spain, as evidenced by our certificates.
Since 2009 the laboratory participates in the National quality control for biochemical, hematological and immunochemical methods of research.
On July 18, 2006, our laboratory obtained attestation to provide all kinds of tests: Attestation Certificate No. РО-301/2006, effective until July 18, 2011.
Provides physiotherapy treatment and prevention of hospital patients and outpatients.
Provides Supervision physiotherapy department chief physiotherapist Health of Ukraine, MD, professor of family medicine Shmakova Irina.
It is possible acceptance elektroprotsedur: UHF, short-wave diathermy , SMV, UHF, EHF, magnet, currents galvanization and electrophoresis, SMT (amplipulse) , d’arsonvalization, fluctuarization, ultrasound therapy and phonophoresis, ultraviolet irradiation of the skin and mucous membranes, vacuum therapy.
Procedures are being electrostimulation, cerebral electroanalgesia, laser, red and infrared, EHF-therapy.
Powered inhalers, conducted ultrasonic inhalation. There are four masseurs of the highest category. Most essential feature is the presence of individually exercised computer procedures horizontal stretching, which allows you to selectively affect each spine
In the operating room FTV exercise therapy with minimally sufficient set of simulators, training opportunity individually, the presence of prophylactic Evminova.
All employees are certified in first and highest categories.
Scientific guidance department provides the Department of General Practice and Rehabilitation.
The Surgical Department is located on the 1st and 2nd floors of in-patient department at the Odessa University’s clinic building. The department is fitted with the unique surgical instruments and update equipment for endoscopy (Karl Storz), laser, ultrasonic radio-wave devices, equipment for live tissue bonding, powerful microscope for microsurgery and neurosurgery operations. The Department has six modern operation rooms, equipped with devices, instruments and installations necessary surgical operations of different complexity: surgery lamps and individual lighters, multifunctional surgical tables; high accuracy anesthesia systems, ventilation systems with temperature control and antibacterial filtering; there ia also a possibility of real-time remote viewing of surgical operations’ run from the room to the students’ auditorium.
The main priority of the Department relates to the use of high technological equipment and modern techniques for different surgical treatments: gynecological, purely surgical, urological, traumatic, oncology, neurosurgical, plastic surgery etc.
The following kinds of operations are realised in Odessa:
- laparoscopy during choledocholithiasis, esophagus diaphragm hernia, gastric ulcer and duodenal ulcer;
- laparoscopy and combined surgical operations during pathologies of the large intestine and intestinum tenue, lien, suprarenal glands, liver cystis, echinococcus;
- laparoscopic and open-section surgery of hernias with the use of meshed allotransplantants;
- laparoscopic surgery during ootheca cystis and tumors, metrofibroma, tubular- peritoneal agenesis, endometriosis;
- hysteroscopy of different pathologies of the endometrium, metra structural anomapies, urgent laparoscopic surgery at appendicitis, perforated ulcer, constrained hernia and other urgent surgical pathologies;
- laparoscopy and open-section during hydronephrosis, renal, prostate and urocyst tumors, reconstruction surgery at urethra pathologies and uracrasia;
- neurosurgery operations;
- trauma operations;
- plastic operations with allogenous materials and homogenous tissues’ use;
- radical surgery while oncology treatment as a stage of special-purposed treatment during the following tumors localization: skin, glandula mammaria, thyroid gland, urinary and reproductive systems, gastro-intestinal tract, cerebrospinal nervous system.
The Head of the Department is a Doctor – Surgeon-Oncologist of higher category, Assistant at the ONMedU Oncology with Radiology Diagnostics and Therapy Chair, principal part-time breast physician of the Administration of Health of Odessa City Council, Doctor Zavoloka Oleksandr Vasyliovych.
Department of invasive diagnostic methods and treatment (surgical clinic) located on the fourth floor inpatient building of clinic of Odessa National Medical University.
As part of the surgical clinic works 2 lecturers, 1 assistant, 8 doctors, 2 clinical interns, senior nurse, 12 nurses, matron, barmaid, 12 junior nurses.
The department has 50 beds for patients with various surgical and gynecological pathology. Value for gynecological and surgical beds dynamically changes depending on the direct load of department (floating bed).
Most of the clinical work – counseling patients and performing of surgical interventions by leading specialists, professors and lecturers of the Odessa National Medical University S.A.Geshelin, F.I.Gostev, V.V.Grubnik.
The department consulted by therapists-lecturers N.N. Perepelyuk, ass. V.B. Yablonska, head of therapeutic department G.V. Lagutina, head of neurological department, PhD S.I. Dribina, oncologist, lecturer N.V. Tyueva.
Scientific topics to be developed in the department – diagnostic and treatment of patients with oncogynecological pathology, pathology of the cervix, modern technology in the treatment of ventral hernias, adhesive disease and echinococcosis.
In the postoperative period, patients are in comfortable 1-3bed wards with their own bathrooms.
Neurological Department of the Odessa University Clinic hospital is 60 beds, with chambers for 1-2-3 person with bath and balcony, including superior chamber with shower, TV, refrigerator and air conditioning, a spacious dining room, manipulation rooms and other ancillary facilities.
Hospital patients provided three hot meals (according to the assigned diet), bedding, round the clock supervision of honey. staff and doctor. Department staff consists of highly qualified doctors (three PhD, doctors 1 and higher category.
In the clinic, if necessary, the patient examined by doctors allied professions (physician, cardiologist, surgeon, gynecologist, dermatologist, Otorhinolaryngolgist, optometrist, psychiatrist, etc.)
Every day in the department conducts bypassing MD, Head of the Department of Neurosurgery and Neurology, Professor Son AS In complicated cases, the patient looks concilium involving leading experts all necessary specialties.
Thanks to plentiful diagnostic clinic, patients are provided with all necessary examination (including laboratory, and instrumental methods of functional diagnosis), performed by highly qualified specialists.
Patients receive expert help doctors office with daily review and correction purposes.
Prescriptions perform highly skilled nurses and junior staff.
Who need physical therapy receive a wide range of necessary procedures, including massage, exercise therapy, as well as ultrasound, electrical, magnetic, and other phototherapy.
Indications for referral to neurological hospital:
- Treatment of patients with various diseases of the nervous system. Inflammatory diseases of the nervous system (except for acute meningoencephalitis and other diseases that require reanimation of support);
- extrapyramidal dysfunction and other movement;
- demyelinating disease of the nervous system, episodic and paroxysmal disorders;
- nerve damage, nerve root and plexus, polyneuropathy, and other lesions of the peripheral nervous system;
- neuromuscular diseases of joints and muscles;
- cerebral palsy and other paralytic syndromes
- disease of the brain and spinal cord (for isklyucheniemostryh cerebral blood flow (stroke));
- disorders of the autonomic nervous system;
- hereditary and neurodegenerative disease.
Survey to clarify the diagnosis.
Survey for further military expertise (in RVK) or examination performance.
The Odessa University Clinics’ Center Forensic Pathology Department has been founded in January 2011.
The Department is fitted with contemporary equipment high-quality prompt examination of postsurgical biopsy tissues following standard protocols. Timely established correct diagnosis represents a prerequisite for diacrisis, postdiagnostical therapeutic treatment and prognosis where applicable to oncology, gynaecology, and reproductive system medication.
The intrasurgical examination (frozen section) allows promptly to respond when surgical operation running, the actual questions of tumor presence and its character, condition of resection edges.
The Department’s lab in Odessa provides cytological and cytochemical examinations of the prostatic gland, mammary gland, thyroid gland, skin, cervix uteri tissues (particularly PAP-test).
Contemporary microscopic equipment Leica including the videocamera and output to monitor is widely used scientific (histological preparations’ registering and documentation) and training purposes (doctors and junior physicians-interns online training). When facing difficult cases, the lab joins efforts to telemedicine technologies for consulting the leading specialists of Ukraine and other countries (Russia, Israel). The Department has special classes, where its doctoral staff provides training students in sectional biopsy course.
Results obtained at material examining are archived with statistical and scientific morphology data processing further use at clinical investigations and scientific researches. The Departmental laboratory provides auxiliary for effecting the morphology studies when the Odessa National Medical University and Clinics’ staff scientific works and dissertations preparing.
The autopsy section of forensic lab operation allows to establish the final diagnosis (confirming the clinical one either overriding this one) as well as to control and monitor the quality of clinical examination and treatment. The postmortem bodies’ embalming is effected with Hygeco (France) solutions.
The Department staff: Department head – Forensic medicine Doctor, Ph.D.in Medicine, Assistant Professor of the ONMedU Pathomorphology Chair, Doctor Rosha Larisa Grigorievna.
Pathologists Doctors: Ph.D.in Medicine, Assistant Professor of the ONMedU Pathomorphology Chair, Doctor Litvinenko Mairanna Valerievna,,Ph.D.in Medicine, Assistant Professor of the ONMedU Pathomorphology Chair,Doctor Syvokoniuk Oksana Volodymyrivna.
Laboratory assistant: Supreme category laboratory assistant Petrovs’ka Olga Oleksandrivna.
Paramedic assistant: Antonov Oleg Evgenovych
Junior attendant: Nikitina Inna Anatolievna.
The major tasks of modern higher education in Odessa are to create conditions for students and trainees to gain practical skills without the risk of injury to the patient.
Globally, these problems are solved with the help of simulation technologies. The Center is a multifunctional and high-tech institution equipped with the new equipment from the first to the seventh level of realism. Centre is located at two facilities – Odessa University clinic and campus.
Benefits of stimulation training:
- Clinical experience in a virtual environment without risk to the patient
- An objective assessment of skill levels
- Unlimited number of repetitions for practical skills
- Training in uncommon and life-threatening pathologies
- The virtual simulator assumes some of the teacher’s functions
- Reduced stress during the first independent manipulations
- Training takes place regardless of the schedule of the clinic
- The development of both individual skills and abilities, and of team interaction
The Center helps to resolve the issue of qualitative practical training of specialists in family medicine. Odessa National Medical University has recently won a grant from the European Union for the “CHRONEX” project. The main goal of this project is to introduce the most effective method such as “standardized patients” for the training of family doctors.
In addition, much attention is also paid to the preparation of specialists for perinatal centers – obstetricians, anesthesiologists, perinatologists, neonatologists and specialists in intensive care and neonatal intensive care.
Types of training at the training center:
- Virtual Patient
- Primary practice
- Simulation-based study using the latest models of simulators
- «Standardized patient” training method
- The system of psychological consulting and management
Equipment used during practical trainings in Odesssa:
- A model for the adult patient resuscitation, anesthesia, intensive care, surgery and other complex clinical cases
- An adult patient model for trauma and emergency care
- An adult patient model for emergency care at the to hospital stage
- A newborn baby model
- A model of the child patient for emergency care and other complex cases
- An obstetric patient model
- An obstetric patient model for to hospital use
- An adult patient model for nursing
Categories of persons enrolled in the Odessa Center:
- Students and interns of Odessa National Medical University have the opportunity to work out the basic skills according to the curriculum
- Doctors interns, magistrands, residents, postgraduates can improve their practical skills according to specialization
- Family doctors, trainees, who undergo retraining, get new practical and communication skills to work with patients
- Nurses, midwives, physician assistants will receive expert training in teamwork
- Non-medical personnel, such as: paramedics, members of civil protection services, members of rescue teams, police, soldiers, security personnel and specialized units, firefighters, drivers and others – will have the opportunity to learn how to provide emergency medical care at the to hospital stage.
Since 1996, Odessa National Medical University is in continuous co-operation with European and International Association of universities, as an active member. In 2001, it was admitted as a member of International Scientific Committee of UNESCO.
Odessa National Medical University extensively uses latest scientific techniques and practices of best universities of the world in teaching process. This great contribution is due to close links with leading colleges and academic centres: Washington (USA), Polish Academy of Medicine (Poland), Milan (Italy), Institute of Experimental Immunology (Switzerland), the International Fund of Hippocrates (Greece), A. Schweitzer International Medical Academy (Poland), Russian Heart Scientific-productive Complex (Russia), etc.
ONMedU’s participation in the joint programs and projects with Russia, Belgium, Netherlands, USA, Germany, Austria, South African Republic, etc. makes possible improvement and introduction into training and therapeutic processes of new educational and technologies, obtaining of grants, annual training of teachers in the best scientific and educational centers, direct deliveries of high technology equipments, joint release of scientific and scholarly literature, etc. Among the grants, carried out by the scientists of ONMedU together with the foreign associates : Practical-scientific grant (AIHA, USA), Training grant (UNICEF, the children’s fund of UN), Training grant (JHPIEGO, USA) and many others.
ONMedU is continuously participating in the programs of “Vidrodzhennya” fund, in the activities of International Club “Rotary”, in the programs of American Agency of International Development (USAID) and in collaboration with the International Association of Psychosomatic Medicine (ASCONA).Ukrainian- Netherlands Practical-scientific grant “Improvement of the system of teaching family medicine in higher educational institutions” (MATRA).
Our chief scientists are the honorable doctors of 42 international organizations and colleges, who are “doctor honoris causa” of our odessa university. They all deliver lectures to the students and teachers yearly. Among them are: Nobel Prize Winners – Prof. Rolph Zinkernagel (Switzerland) & Prof. Yevgeniy Chazov (Russia); Prof. Juliano Di Bernardo (Italy), Spiros Marketos (Greece) and Georgiy Kryzhanovskiy (Russia); President of Polish Academy of Medicine Prof. Casimir Imiyelinski; Rectors of several universities – Prof. Stefan Doel Trachtenberg (George Washington, USA) & Ton That Bach (Hanoi National Medical college, Vietnam), and others.
The Medical Council of India (MCI) is a statutory body with the responsibility of establishing and maintaining high standards of medical education and recognition of medical qualifications in India. It registers doctors to practice in India, in order to protect and promote the health and safety of the public by ensuring proper standards in the practice of medicine.